Update 3/10/20

Chat about anything and everything in this forum.
Clay

Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:34 am

My daughter Mattie and I got here to Piber's house in Girona on Sunday. Monday we went to the factory to discuss the delay on the enduro bike with Piber. Basically they are two supply issues that are causing the delay.
Number one is getting final suspension parts from PHM in Belgium and number two is getting the airbox from China. PHM is really good at producing quality parts but they are apparently a bit slow. And the corona virus hit just when the airboxes were supposed to be delivered. Piber says that bikes will be shipped this month but I have learned that Piber is an eternal optimist. If everything is delivered when the suppliers say it will be delivered then the bikes will be shipped from Girona this month and be in TN late April. If one supplier drops the ball then we won't make it and it will be early May before they get here.
So that's where we're at. I believe the bike will be worth the wait. They have still been testing the pre-production model and it is working really well.
One other topic that I have gotten questions about...…
A lot of you have asked about the "look of bike". There really isn't one! Piber is letting each distributor decide what they want on their bike. I sort of struggle with this approach since it keeps us from having a recognizable brand appearance but then I don't want what they would do anyway so my bikes wouldn't look like theirs. Their plan is to have a bike with black plastic and natural aluminum wheels. I chose gray plastic with the blue wheels. Next year I will also offer white with the blue wheels. I have attached below the basic graphics look except the thin blue stripe will be wider. The first bikes may come with stickers and then later will have inlaid rad graphics.
One other thing.....these will be early release 2021 model motorcycles. So we will have 2021 models way before anyone else does.
I'll be here two more days if any of you have questions that you want answered.
Attachments
JTG Graphics.JPG
dirtbird

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:10 pm

Clay, I am with you on colors if you don't mind.
I would like the bike to be easy to recognize and not just another pattern of white-black-red.
Nhuskys

Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:12 pm

What's up with Trials bike production. That's a Trials sticker kit? New engine cases ready? Any pictures of pre-production Trials bikes at the factory? Are you going to ride a Trials model, while you are there? Throw us Trials riders a bone Clay! ;)
Coach

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:23 pm

Grey plastic blue wheels...Sweet!
Weasel

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:34 pm

Coach wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:23 pm
Grey plastic blue wheels...Sweet!
I agreee!

So now that you have the boring Enduro done when is the cool minimalistic 'Xride 2.0" gonna be done. :D (this forum really needs a flipoff smiley)
Clay

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:31 am

Nhuskys wrote:
What's up with Trials bike production. That's a Trials sticker kit? New engine cases ready? Any pictures of pre-production Trials bikes at the factory? Are you going to ride a Trials model, while you are there? Throw us Trials riders a bone Clay! ;)
Sorry, Norm. Had that at my fingertips and forgot to mention it.
On trials bikes they decided to update the cases from sand cast to injection molding. The cases are designed here and the mold is built here then the injection is done in Asia. Those are scheduled to "deliver in a few days". He says all other parts are here to build the bike as soon as they get the cases.
Clay

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:34 am

dirtbird wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:10 pm
Clay, I am with you on colors if you don't mind.
I would like the bike to be easy to recognize and not just another pattern of white-black-red.
Sotiris are you asking if I mind if you use the same color? Absolutely not! You are welcome to use anything I come up with. The young lady who works for Piber (I can't remember her name) is making me a photoshopped example of what I am asking for and I will email that to you when I get it from her. I'll post here too.
Nhuskys

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:00 am

Clay wrote:
Nhuskys wrote:
On trials bikes they decided to update the cases from sand cast to injection molding. The cases are designed here and the mold is built here then the injection is done in Asia. Those are scheduled to "deliver in a few days". He says all other parts are here to build the bike as soon as they get the cases.
So are rough cases being delivered and then have to go to PHM for machining, or is the machining done in Asia? By Asia, does that mean a country other than China?
dirtbird

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:36 am

Nhuskys wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:00 am
Clay wrote:
Nhuskys wrote:
So are rough cases being delivered and then have to go to PHM for machining, or is the machining done in Asia? By Asia, does that mean a country other than China?
Not sure about the trial cases but the enduro cases were injection molding and then finished and paired (not sure that his was done by PHM). I also seen the shift barell (I think this was CNC-made by PHM, piece of art), clutch basket with gear ring (PHM), cylinder (S3), crankshafts with rods and the PHM shock (46mm body, blader, grey spring which will go find with grey plastics). Also the prototype exhaust (made cone by cone by Tecnigas) and then the molds they made to produce the exhaust parts with stamping.
ATeam

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm

Any updates on the eMTB? Could they come in sooner?

JTG UK has posted these spec. for the 2020 model Jotagas St Grau, E-MTB.
48v motor, 85Nm, The PHM/G2 motor features a central drive shaft not offset like most others so is more compact. With nine power settings
Battery 850wh maybe more?
PHM/G2 upside down forks have 180mm travel air spring and oil damped.
Rear shock is Rockshox, Travel?
Groupset is SRAM.
It has a seat dropper post
red/white or black/yellow sizes M and L and wheel choice of 27.5 or 29.

Could we get more specs? Geometry ie..Fork angle, off set, reach, chainstay, seat tube angle, BB height

A few suggestions in ways the US industry has been swaying:
29 front 27.5 rear, 2.8 width tires.
Shorter cranks. 160mm to reduce pedal strikes
Gear box over Derailleurs. Derailleurs get damaged easily and require lots of maintenance. I have seen prototype gear boxes but no production. I think this would be a perfect application for a CV trans.